When I went a month without my computer, I missed a lot of great blog posts. While getting caught up on my reading, I realized that my sweet and SO talented college friend Stevie from Stevie Storck Design Co.nominated me for a Liebster Award! I had no idea what this was, but it is REALLY cool so I’m excited to accept my nomination and pass it on to some other great bloggers as well!
As part of the award, I get to answer these eleven questions from Stevie and then nominate five blogging friends to answer some questions too. So, without further ado:
1. What/who inspired you to start your blog?
I have had a million-and-three blogs over the course of my twenty-eight years and I tend to abandon them after a year or so mostly because my blogs tend to have a theme like “Gabrielle moved away so here’s the website where we can kind of keep in touch” but then I move back and it loses its purpose. I started this blog over a year ago to be a platform to simply share my life as it is without any real staging or theme behind it. But then, of course, I bought a house and it became my house blog but I’d like to keep it so that in time it can go back to being my “life” blog. I am inspired by so many blogs. Every time I find a good one I envy it in the healthiest way and hope to create something equally cool in time.
2. What topics do you love to write about most?
Ironically, I love to write about topics that I haven’t yet written about on here. Rookie mistake. I am an introvert with a lot of thoughts that I don’t often get to express freely. But mostly I think that, if you are doing it right, life is really challenging and I love to write about the particular challenges I have that maybe others can relate to. I like to find the most raw and real ways to connect with people and show myself candidly because I figure for as alone as I can sometimes feel, someone else has to feel that way too. And if they are out there carrying around a life full of weird little quirks, I want to find them.
3. Who should read your blog and why?
Adventurous people, kind people, survivors, cat lovers, architecture lovers, people who habitually bite off more than they can chew, people who talk to therapists, nature lovers, travelers, imperfectionists, people who aren’t trying to impress anyone, creatives, deep thinkers, listeners, clumsy people. I can relate to these people best and I want to meet all of them, plus I’m sure they’ll find things about my blog that they can relate to as well. All I ask is that you come emotionally unarmed and without an agenda.
4. What’s one thing people would be surprised to learn about you?
I am agoraphobic. I can be okay for a long while but then there are definitely spells where I don’t leave the people and places where I am comfortable. I think that by not telling people about this for so long, a lot of friends have felt alienated or like I never wanted to hang out with them–because seriously how many times can I say I’m sick when I’m invited places? But, now you know.
5. If you could snap your fingers and be anywhere in the world right now, where would you want to be?
Normally, I would answer this as Australia as it is absolutely one of my favorite places on earth but since it is winter there and I hate winter, I’m going to say Puerto Rico because I’ll be there in eleven days and I can’t wait.
6. What’s your favorite room in your house?
My bedroom. I have been working on a secret project in there that is letting me really dig into my creative energy so it has really become my happy place.
7. Do you have a celebrity doppelganger?
Yes! Does anyone remember the show Lizzie McGuire? Her best friend Miranda (played by Lalaine) looked exactly like I did when that show was on. We even had some of the same clothing. To make it even creepier, we have the same birthday–day, month, AND year.
8. Which of your blog posts are you most proud of? Tell us why and share the link!
My very first post which was about the life and death of my beloved cat. I wrote it over the course of a week or so and I felt like I said it all the way I wanted to when I published it. He was a cool dude and I wanted to give him a fitting farewell.
9. What does your perfect day look like?
Wake up naturally and healthy with a cat or two to a sunny high-70s day, spend the morning shopping a foreign market or even a farmer’s market, get just enough lunch overlooking a body of water, take a minute to relax somewhere peaceful, go for a long walk through a new place, take in some city lights or fireworks by night, a good glass of tea, and someone to photograph it all day long so I have the evidence!
10. If you could only listen to one band or artist for the next 10 years, who would you chose?
This is a REALLY tough question! But okay, George Is Jones. Not to be confused with George Jones, it is a collaborative effort between Inara George and Rod Jones and they recorded just a few songs and then abandoned the project. I’ve been listening to these few songs with the same amount of adoration as the first time I heard them (which has got to be at least ten years ago) so I know I could definitely do another ten years with them.
11. What’s your favorite social media platform? Which one have you never really gotten into?
I cannot do Twitter. Maybe I misunderstand it, but it seems like it is mostly for keeping up with celebrities which doesn’t really appeal to me much. I am definitely dependent on Facebook though!
1. Mellissa who blogs from sunny Florida!
2. Erin from At the Helm of the Public Realm because I know my architecture friends will love her blog!
3. Astrid who I cannot believe is my age by how brilliantly she writes at Blogging Astrid
4. Lauren Nutter and her Ocean Inspired Paintings
5. Megan of Made by Megan Mae
1. If you could wake up tomorrow with the education, skills, and certifications necessary to perform any job, what would you choose for your new career and why?
2. What is your favorite thing to blog about and why?
3. What do you do to recharge and get back into the blogging frame of mind?
4. What is one thing in your life that you’ve gotten to experience that you wish everyone else could experience as well?
5. Who is inspiring you at the moment and why?
6. What is the best meal you’ve ever eaten?
7. Describe your perfect day.
8. What is one modern convenience that you could really not live without?
9. What is one thing that people would be surprised to learn about you?
10. If a movie were made about your life, who would be best cast to play you?
11. Who should read your blog and why?
I can’t wait to read the responses!